2011年7月19日星期二

English newspapers offer a view on royal family

Any regular reader of this column knows how much I love newspapers. I could happily sit and read them throughout the day. The content, the smell of the newsprint and the many stories they contain just make me happy.

Mark Rafter, my psychology teacher at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, visited Europe along with his wife for several weeks, and he brought me back some English newspapers. When I lived in Los Angeles, I would visit a newspaper store on Hollywood Boulevard and buy one or two a month. They were terribly expensive, and I missed getting them when I moved to Ventura County. It was so thoughtful of Mark to bring them for me, and I looked forward to reading them from cover to cover.

There were four of them. He was there when Osama bin Laden was killed, and it was covered extensively in the British papers. The paper I really enjoyed was the collectors' edition of the Daily Telegraph.there's a lovely winter landscape oil paintings by William Zorach. It covered the royal wedding with the "best photographs and reports of the magical day." It is a little strange that those of us who have chosen to be in America still hold the royal family so close to our hearts, and find everything they do to be of interest.For the last five years Ripcurl , Marianne Ratcliff, former opinion page editor of The Star, has a mother who is my age and has been in the United States for many years, and she still follows everything they do. She told me she would become a U.S. citizen when Queen Elizabeth II died, because she was so loyal to her.

Because I have a constant interest in food, I was eager to see the menu for the evening reception. The drinks served were champagne, peach bellinis and elderflower cocktail. Gosh, I hadn't heard of elderflower cocktails since I was a child when my mother would collect elderflowers from the countryside and make wine. We never had liquor in the house, and the wine was supposed to be good for the liver; at least, that is what my mother told me. I had to collect old glass bottles to house the wine, and then they were corked. Occasionally, we would be sitting quietly and hear a big bang. The cork had blown out of the bottle and sprayed the kitchen. So much for elderflower wine.Traditional Air purifier claim to clean all the air in a room.

You have read of my praise of Welsh salmon and Welsh lamb, and both were served along with fresh vegetables from the garden at Highgrove, Prince Charles' country residence. What would an English dinner be without trifle, probably laden with sherry,ceramic Injection mold for the medical, and that is how they closed the dinner. Later, everyone strolled into the gardens and was served bacon sandwiches.

One of the most intriguing articles in this paper was "The secret of Harper Lee's 50-year silence." There are not many who have not either heard of or read her wonderful novel "To Kill a Mockingbird." It was the only novel she wrote, and she did it because she "wanted to leave some record of small-town,There is good integration with PayPal and most third party merchant account providers, middle-class Southern life." It is extraordinary that two such gifted writers, Harper Lee and Truman Capote, came from the same small town. Each was very different in their style of writing and content. Harper Lee has succeeded in protecting herself over the last half century from modern life. It would have been interesting to have another novel to see whether it would achieve the same success. The expectation of another highly successful novel and film is too much for many authors to handle, and they prefer to go into solitude. Balancing a past success with producing a new work is just too much of an expectation.

没有评论:

发表评论